Just like last year, I won’t have any big European summer vacation. In an attempt to avoid ending up with yet another voucher from a canceled flight, and because I need to spend time at home writing the cookbook, I’ll be taking only a little time to relax on the local tri-state area beaches. Here at Food Perestroika, this is the moment when I usually compile a list of the summer recipes that I’ve posted over the past year. This year, many of them hail from Northern Russia and Croatia. So let’s get to it!
- Hey, just because it’s from the Russian Far North does not mean my reindeer pizza wouldn’t make a fantastic summer meal. The same goes for the scallops and crab rice polenta.
- Of course all of Croatia’s seafood dishes are great to prepare in the summer. This is the perfect time to try my takes on such Dalmatian classics as black risotto or roasted turbot with Swiss chard and potatoes. Or have your seafood Zagreb-style, with my shellfish and cheese tortellini in tomato broth.
- What would summer be without barbecue of some sort? The Croatian veal under the bell promises generous servings of meat and potatoes!
- And to rinse it all off, fix yourself a Maraschino cocktail: Posljednje Slovo, Dalmatian Spritz, Zadar Sling – you decide!
- Oh, and we need dessert. How about a bábovka, to take with you on a picnic?